Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 18: Running

When I got out of bed this morning at 5:05 AM, I have to say I pretty much hated running.

But by 5:20, as I ran down the street in the cool mountain morning air, I could already feel the sleepiness and grouchiness dripping out of my body. I looked over and saw the setting moon, absolutely huge and beautiful in the early morning sky. Yup, I was already loving running again.

Today, I am very thankful for Running.
In our hectic lives there isn't a lot of time to devote to exercise. With four young kiddos around and a busy work schedule, making trips to an exercise center is pretty much out of the question. But, if Brooke and I can't get some solitary minutes of exercise each week, we are much less fun to live with.

 With running I can be out the door and back in under 40 minutes and still get a great workout.
And besides helping us stay healthy and sane, it has helped us get to know a lot of people in our community. We live in a place that loves running, so I have met a lot of runners on my early morning outings and at the races they hold in our community.

I just did another fun run yesterday. And once again, everyone had fun, exercise and got some great prizes too!
One of the very best parts of running is seeing my kids influenced to have a healthy lifestyle. When it's possible, they love to come see mommy or daddy run a race. 

And now they always ask me to time them as they run around our yard---they saw us do it, and now they really want to run races too.

 If you haven't started running yet, there are some great couch-to-5-K programs out there---get out and get running!

You'll probably be thankful for it too.

No comments: