Sunday, November 10, 2013

Day 10: Fat Pig @ the Market

To Market, To Market, To Buy a Fat Pig...
This is Lechon.  It is super yum!  
It is is also what I like to call "The Breakfast of Champions"...  Brian totally made fun of me for eating lechon and drinking coke for breakfast until he tried it...  Now, he totally sees why I thought that it was a delicious way to start the day. Ok, it's not an everyday thing, but when we have it...we love it.
Today, I'm super thankful for the market where we live.  I don't get to go there as much as I would like...but I sure do love it when I do.  Here I am this AM...I had literally just rolled out of bed...no make-up, etc. Personally...I only go to the market in the early AM...before all the flies are awake.  :)  There is a market every day...but on the weekend...starting on Friday afternoon and going through until Sunday afternoon...it becomes really huge.
I have a special lechon guy...that I buy from every time...so, sometimes he gives me a little extra for free.  I only buy it when it's still steaming hot!  
This is budbud or suman...  Sticky rice lightly sweetened and steamed in banana leaf.
Budbud is Asia's favorite!  The girls had just woken up when I got home from the market.
Lots of fresh veggies to chose from! The climate in the mountainous region we live in is great for growing a variety of produce.
You can pick up your eggs and onions and a few bananas..
 More veggies...
I have been buying kalamansi(kind of like little lemons) from this same kid since we moved here...It's been crazy to see how tall he has grown.  He finds me while I'm at the market...and I buy.
Brooms, flip-flops, clothes, etc...it's all available here...  You could just about outfit a whole household here.
 Christmas starts early in the Philippines...  You can buy some decorations.
 Or some Coconut Wine(Tuba)...sold in plastic bags.
 Rice. That's one food you'll always find here.
If you want to BBQ, buy a hat and pick up some of those red bags that are filled with homemade charcoal...
This is my friend Yvette... I've been buying my pork from her since we moved here...  I just stop by when I get to the market...tell her what I want...and then, go do my other shopping...  Just have to go back and pick it up.  I can tell my meat is fresh...it is still warm! haha.
 Today, I saw a guy selling these Gerbera Daisies.
And of course...the friendly neighborhood fruit truck.  

These are just some pics of a small portion of the market...there is way more interesting stuff there... Seriously...Come visit. I'll take you there.  It's always an adventure.

Anyway...I'm thankful for the market.  I love fresh veggies, meat and fruit...and all the other delicious things that I can buy there. Pretty much everything I cook here is made from scratch...no convenience foods or frozen meals. 

Well, that's all for the market today, so I guess it's home again home again jiggety-jig. I'm going home to eat the Fat Pig.

No comments: