Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Oatmeal Cake Yumminess

Many years ago when I was living in Oregon... I went on a road trip with my dear friend Shilo (and some other friends...one of them is now her husband!!) to visit her family in Washington State...When we arrived at her parent's house...her mom had this amazing still warm from the oven oatmeal cake and lattes ready for us. It was an amazing trip with friends to a beautiful place and to a lovely and very welcoming family.

Ok, this might not be the healthiest recipe in the world...it's a caramely, coconuty concoction whose flavor seems to necessitate a fancier name than Oatmeal Cake... But, perhaps Oatmeal Cake is a good name....because when I tell someone I'm eating Oatmeal Cake, I can almost make it sound like I'm having a health food. 

Well, this may not be an everyday health food, but it is definitely worth the 10 extra miles I'm going to have to go run now.   

Cut a piece still warm  from the oven and savor every bit with a latte or a glass of milk...seriously...Wow!
That's some good home cookin'!

Oatmeal Cake
1 cup quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cups boiling water
Pour water over oatmeal.  Let stand 10 minutes. Do not stir.  Put 1 cube butter in oatmeal.  Let stand 10 minutes.  Ok...honestly...I've never been exactly sure what 1 cube of butter is...but I decided that a stick or 1/2 cup of butter is a cube in my book...because seriously...A little butter is not best, if more butter can be better.
Add:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs(beaten)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
Mix that all up and bake @ 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Frost when done.

Frosting:
3/4 cube butter(again with the cube...I just use 6 Tablespoons or 3/4 of a stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
4 Tablespoons milk or cream
Mix together & Pour over cake-place in oven 10 minutes.  I mix all these ingredients together in a saucepan and make a little carmely-coconuty sauce...partly because it's sooo yummy and partly because sugar just doesn't dissolve very well here...and 10 minutes in the oven won't dissolve it.  Once I make the sauce...I pour it on the cake and then, pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out, and enjoy.

Independent review: Brian Johnson, husband. "Absolutely delicious! Let's hide it from the kids."

It's time for your own Oatmeal Cake awesomeness. Bake some up and let me know what you think!


No comments: