Friday, November 30, 2012

Day 30: Highland Games Night Run

This is me...earlier this evening...getting ready to do a 5k run in the dark.
It had been a long day, kids are just getting over being sick and are still really grouchy...
I was not in a good mood, and not really feeling very thankful... 
I started running and it felt awesome. It was about 1/2 road, 1/2 trail run, and the trail was super dark. It's a good thing I had my headlamp! I ran hard...really hard because there was about 3 guys close to me and I couldn't see anyone behind me and we were in the middle of a forest...I didn't want to run solo out there.
 
I was running hard, trying to keep up, but while I ran, I literally was gasping for air and simultaneously thinking how thankful I was to be doing this. Between us, Brooke and I have had about 15 leg surgeries. Brooke ran a 10-K last week and I was in the middle of a night run 5-K ..I had a pitch-black-in-the-forest-thankful-run.
 
I sprinted through the finish...and the head of our local runners group called to me..."you got 11th!"  Missed the top ten (and the prizes) by 1 place! Oh well...it was still awesome. 
And, I saw some of Brooke's Muay Thai friends there too!  They did a great job! 
 
To round out the night, they had the local fire-dancing team on hand-- pretty cool actually.
 
We are thankful that in the midst of a very stressful life...we have time to run, to run with friends, and to make new friends while we run. Oh....and we're thankful that our broken-down legs are holding up.

As we finish out our month of thankfulness....I realize....this month of blogging has been a very good reminder of all the things we have to be thankful for...and to have to think of something to be thankful for...even when we weren't feeling particularly thankful.
 
When we take the time to think about it...it's amazing how blessed we truly are, in so many different ways.  Thanks, God!

No comments: