Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yogurt in 10 Minutes or Less

I used to think that making yogurt was this huge deal. 

According to the recipes I have found online...I must heat some milk to 180 degrees...then, cool it down to 112 degrees...before adding my starter.  It required a thermometer and everything must be sterilized and exact.  People swear by Easiyos, etc.  I'm telling you...you do NOT need all that extra stuff.   

After experimenting with the easiest and cheapest ways of doing it...this is what I've come up with. 

All you need: jars(or containers), a cooler, milk powder, room temperature water, yogurt starter or plain store bought yogurt, and boiling water.

Making around 4 quarts of yogurt takes me about 10 minutes or less.  And if I can do it...so can you!!!

First, I get some water boiling...which I'm going to use to pour into the cooler...so, I just need a couple of quarts.  Waiting for the water to boil is going to be the thing that takes the longest...so, do NOT watch the pot.
Then, I make my milk...using powdered milk...I add 3 cups of milk powder...to 2 quarts of water.  I use Anchor Full Cream milk...because that's what I have in my house...as that is what the kiddos drink.  I use just regular room temperature water...and mix it all up.

I just experiemented with a powdered milk drink mix...which I was VERY skeptical about...and it totally worked.  I couldn't believe it...as it isn't really pure powdered milk...but a mix...with lots of additives like 3 types of sugar and 5 types of oil...and uses skim milk.  But it's what most people here in the Philippines buy because it's cheaper.  It's not what I would use to make for our family...but it worked.

Also, for those of you who can use regular cow milk...I've heard it's best to add a few tablespoons of powdered milk...as it thickens better.  I would like to try experiementing with regular milk...but first, I'd have to convince Brian to let me buy some...as it's quite expensive here.
To the milk I add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of yogurt.  Honestly, I don't measure...I just use some of my leftover yogurt from a previous batch...(so, basically, I use whatever the kids and Brian haven't eaten yet.) 

If you are using a powdered starter...just follow the directions on the package.  Generally, a package is for 1 liter of milk.  If  you are using a store bought plain yogurt as your starter...I have heard that you may need to use more.

I mix the milk and yogurt(or yogurt starter) together really well.
Then, I pour that into some jars.  I don't sterilize them or anything...I just make sure they are clean. Then, I put the lids on and give them a good shake.
I place the jars in a cooler....and dump some boiling water into the cooler...until the water is about 1/2 way up the jars...whatever...It's not exact.  :)  I have a nifty hot water pot that boils water REALLY fast.
Then, I put the lid on....do you like my cooler?  My friend gave it to me...it reminds me of her everytime I use it.   

Wait anywhere from 7 to 10 hours...I've even waited up to 12...(if I am making it overnight.)  I think it depends on the size jar you use...and how hot of water you use.  The longer you leave it...the thicker and more tart it gets...but you can't leave it too long or it completely sours.  You'll just have to experiment...to see how you like it.
And you'll have creamy homemade yogurt.
We either add some fruit(mango) or honey...or put on top of granola and then, chow down.

Ok, well...it takes longer than 10 minutes to make...as you have to leave it for many hours...but it only takes about 10 minutes of work.

Not only is it loaded with probiotics; but as Asia says, "It's like a magical dream come true!"

5 comments:

Sirviendo a Cristo said...

Hi guys

Thanks so much! Most of the yogurt available here is the "drinkable" stuff: the kids love it and it's great for smoothies, but we'd like to have something firmer, with less sugar. My mom made yogurt when I was a kid and Kaylee has talked about trying to do it herself.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you've discovered that it is an easier process than we've heard. We'll give it a shot!

jms021117 said...

That sounds great Brooke. I continue to be amazed at how our lives are similar and yet very different. :) I buy yogurt in the store that has way too much sugar in it. If it is that easy, I may just have to try making it myself...wonder if the kids would eat it....and still think it was a magical dream come true.

Gran'ma Tiegs said...

You've done a really good job of presenting this, Brooke. Pictures and all. :>) Do you think the lightweight syrofoam coolers we have here will work? Also, I can only find nonfat instant powdered milk. I've always heard one needs the whole milk powder. If I use 2% liquid milk do I need to scald it? Yours looks really creamy and yummy. Gran'pa will eat it if he has some fruit with it. Thnks for doing this, Brooke.

Dr. Momsie said...

My husband and I were just talking about making our own yogurt the other day! So glad I found this blog through the blog hop! Can't wait to read more!

Java with the Johnsons said...

have heard some good results already-- would love to know how the yogurt making goes for whoever tries it...good, ok, or sour milk failure--we would love to know!