Friday, May 4, 2012

24


Back when the twins were just born, Brian decided to blog about "The Real 24" back in March 2009. A series on 24 hours of our life while raising two newborns and a toddler.

Things have changed since then, but every 24 hours is definitely still an adventure around here.

Frankly, it's not too exciting and definitely NOT glamorous.  But in an effort to be always be real...I thought I would share what a "typical" day in my life was like.

Grab a huge cup of coffee...and enjoy!

My life isn't nearly as exciting as Jack Bauer's...but here is my "normal" 24...

5:10…Wake up to the boys screaming their full heads off. Somehow, Skye ended up in our bed last night…

5:30…Check email, FB, etc.

5:50…Get some laundry started…after realizing that Asia doesn’t have any clean tights to wear to ballet.

6 AM…breakfast for the kiddos… homemade yogurt and oatmeal… Asia says, “It’s like a magical dream come true.” I love this age…it takes sooo little to impress them.
6:20…Jump in the shower

6:40…Try to get some breakfast for myself…but Skye insists that her hair must be done!!! Life cannot go on! And there MUST be a bow.

6:50…Breakfast for myself…scrambled eggs & Gauc(avocados are in season).

7:15…Text a friend to see if I need to pick up her daughter for ballet…as her husband is a pilot and she often needs to flight follow for him…which means she has to sit by the radio the whole time.

7:20…Time with God…only interrupted 50 times(ok…that may be a slight exaggeration…but not much)…Poor Asia doesn’t know what to wear b/c she doesn’t have clean tights… I know, I know…Bad Mom Award!

7:45…Tights into dryer(Yes, I know that you aren’t supposed to put tights in the dryer…but desperate times call for desperate measures.)…Try to do Asia’s hair…but she decides she HAS to go to the bathroom…get snack ready…contemplate the merits of buying Asia another pair of tights…will it help…or will it just enable me to go longer between washing clothes…and I’ll still have the same problem.

8 AM…School with Asia…the letter P…which I find ironic…as P is also the letter of the day for our blog post.

8:30…Give my helpers instructions for while I’m gone…finish getting Asia ready…

8:40…Brian gets back from walking with the other 3 kiddos…and Asia and I leave 4 her ballet class…Talk to a lady for a few minutes…who doesn’t seem to believe that I have 4 kiddos. Watch Asia’s ballet, listen to Visayan recordings and chat with another missionary there with his daughter.
I either walk everywhere or ride on one of these called a "Rella".

Our kids love to ride on Rellas!
Asia trying to follow her teacher!
10:10…Home from ballet…Give the kiddos another snack…chat with my helpers…one of them brought us a snack to try…lutiya…kind of like a very dry sweet potato... Get some veggies ready for lunch… My helper already chopped the kalabasa (squash)… and shelled the bana(a type of lima beans that my language helper gave me yesterday). I decide to roast the squash in the oven and cook the lima beans with a little bacon.
10:30…Brownout…oh, wait…it only lasted a minute. Time to do “school” with the boys…this week we are focusing on the color Green. They are making bracelets…to also practice using their fine motor skills…I pick up about a million(another slight exaggeration) beads off the floor. But they are having a blast…so, that’s ok.

11 AM…need to write some emails…but the internet isn’t working…I start thinking about a list of things Brian needs to buy in Manila when he’s there… Interrupted by screaming from the playroom…yes, the boys are fighting AGAIN. I am limited in what he can buy because he is limited by time…only time to shop is at night because he’s in meetings all day…and he only has 3 nights…plus, he also needs to see some friends.

11:30…Snuggle on the couch & read to Skye…haven’t spent much time with her so far today…
Baby girl loves to be read to!
11:50…Make sure lunch is ready to go…Ate Tata made Pork BBQ on a stick…. They tell me how apparentIy I bought the wrong kind of kalabasa…I need to buy a yellow one(called Labo) instead of the green…the yellow is old and more delicious…while the green is young and not… So, they teach me the correct thing to say at the market…to make sure I get the right one next time… Geez…I don’t even know how to buy the right kind of squash here.

Noon…Lunch…less chaotic than usual...

12:25…I put Skye down for a nap and corral the other 3 into 1 room for “quiet” time…otherwise known as body slamming hour…it’s not really quiet…but at least they aren’t running around the house.  Internet is still not working…

12:30…I take a break…praying to God that Brian is making coffee…and he literally walks in the room with a mug for me. YES, I KNOW…best husband EVER!!! Chat with Brian about when we are going to pay some bills and do some grocery shopping…pretty sure it’s the first I’ve talked to him ALL DAY. Discuss if I can go to coffee with other missionary ladies tomorrow to say goodbye to one who is headed back to the USA…as it is right in the middle of our language helping sessions. I will have to either try to change my time or cancel it altogether…Brian will have to try to do his session and watch the 4 kiddos… We decide to try to change my time…which means I also have to make lunch during it…I figure this is ok…as I am making spaghetti…and I can use it to later discuss the differences between Filipino and American spaghetti.

1 PM…Start listening to some Visayan recordings. Check the kids…nobody’s bleeding…YET. Make sure no one needs to go to the bathroom. Try to do some laundry…but the water pressure is too low and my machine won’t work. Start to put some laundry away that’s beginning to pile up…five minutes later…Brian yells…a little boy peed all over the floor. Clean that up…and finish putting laundry away.

1:20…Start planning what I am going to do during my language helping session later this afternoon…but am interrupted by kids yelling that THEY NEED A DRINK. Finally, get some stuff for my session printed out.

1:40…the kids are yelling again…IS NAPTIME OVER YET????? I give them drinks…and ask if anyone needs to go to the bathroom…one of them does. I get back up to my room…and someone is yelling again… I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!!!

1:50…internet is still not working…I try to figure out if it’s a problem with us…or our internet provider… it’s working again…not sure if I fixed it…or if it just started working again. Kids yelling again….but I try to ignore it…  Yes, I know…Another Bad Mom Award.

2:15…let the kids up from their “quiet” time… And sit back down to try to finish an email… Slater decides he MUST have a snack… Give them snack…and finish the email. Start prepping some pictures for today’s blog post…

2:30…Try to do more laundry…but still too low of water pressure… Check the kids…make sure nobody needs to go to the bathroom. Leif needs more paper to color on…Get that for him… And discover that Slater has dumped his snack all over the floor… He gets banished to the kitchen…and I clean up the floor.

2:50…My language helper shows up…Brian gets home from his session…and guess what…a little boy peed all over the floor AGAIN! Skye wakes up…change her poopy diaper…hand her to Brian…and I head out the door.

3 to 5 PM…Language helping session…I decide to go to a little coffee shop down the street as our office has been torn up since Sunday…we had a shelf built…and they said it would be delivered on Sunday…So, on Sunday…we moved all the furniture to one side of the room…to make room for the shelf…it’s now Wednesday and it’s still hasn’t been delivered.

5 PM…Home again… I thankfully, have all my required language study hours in for the day…but a lot of it has been just listening to recordings…so, I plan to spend time focusing on Grammar and doing some memory tomorrow. Brian says that they finally delivered the shelf and I decide I’ll clean up the office once the kiddos go to bed. I need to get supper going…Serve yogurt again…as I have an overabundance after my experimenting yesterday…of making yogurt 3 different ways…we also have some bread with mungo bean stuff inside that our helper bought for snack…and mandarin oranges… So thankful we already had our big meal today.

5:30...Brian starts giving kids baths…as I clean up supper, wash dishes and straighten up the house.

5:50 PM…Bed time…Slater insists that he must sleep with Mater…as Leif has McQueen…So, I head to the playroom and dig through the toys to find Mater. I read the boys their Bible story…they want the one about the fish…with the coin in it’s mouth.  And they want to sing “My God is sooo Big”. We pray together…and Leif thanks God for his scooter and puzzles, donuts(which we haven’t had in a long time) and for YOGURT!

6:05…The boys are down and Brian is reading to the girls….I finish cleaning up the house.

6:15…I sit down and put pictures into blog for tonight…so all Brian has to do is write it.

6:20…Brian’s done reading to the girls…so, I tell Asia goodnight and take Skye to the basement…she always needs some extra cuddling before bed…So, we watch tv and she chatters non-stop.

7 PM…I turn off the tv and head up to put Skye to bed. The power goes out…AGAIN…and I wonder how long this is going to last. Put Skye down…but due to a long nap…she is not sleepy yet… Brian gets her back up and takes a turn with her.

7:15…I jump in the shower…cold cuz there is no power… Normally, I HATE cold showers but this one feels good because no power = no fans and it has been sooo hot today.

7:25…guess my plans for the evening are going to change…I had planned on putting the office back in order…but doing so while holding a flashlight doesn’t sound appealing. Also, hoped to chill with Brian for a date night and watch a movie…but apparently, that is also not going to happen. So, I decide to crawl into bed and read…for fun(gasp).

7:45…Skye still not down…so, Brian puts her in bed with me…so he can grab a shower…and of course, she immediately falls asleep.

8:15….I decided that maybe having no power is God’s gift to me…and it means that I can’t do what I planned to do…but I can get some extra sleep.

8:45…I’m still awake…Brian moves Skye to her bed…while I listen to a guy outside walking down the road selling balut.

9 PM…still not asleep. I contemplate the reasons for this.

1. WAY too much coffee: I resolve to drink less coffee tomorrow(if possible)

2. It’s HOT.

3. I’m hungry…I realize I only ate a couple of bites of yogurt for supper…but we don’t have much in the way of snacks…because we really need to go grocery shopping when we can find a time to do it…and I can’t open the fridge…because I have no idea when the power will come back on.

4. After running around like crazy all day…it takes me a while to settle down

5. I keep thinking about everything I have to do tomorrow. Btw…Asia doesn’t have any clean tights…AGAIN…due to low water pressure and no power…definitely buying her another pair of tights whenever I get a minute to run to the store. I think about washing them by hand…but decide that if worse comes to worse…she can just wear them dirty tomorrow…I know, I know…Bad Mom Award…yet again!

9:15…Decide to read for a little while…hoping to make myself sleepy.

9:30…I fall asleep sometime after this point…

10 PM…the power comes back on…and I jump up…to turn off a couple of lights that got left on and to start some laundry… I eventually go back to sleep…and pray that it will be restful…because my day will start all over again at 5 AM.

At some point I hear a kid screaming…and kick Brian… He gets him…as he knows that I have a hard time going back to sleep if I have to get up….apparently, Leif fell out of his bed.

Well, there it is...my busy, and non-glamorous life...trying to get language study in while taking care of the Fantastic Four...all the while trying to work around power outages and low water pressure.  

Well, that's our super-exciting life. Hope you didn't fall asleep mid-sip while drinking your coffee and reading this.

1 comment:

Shilo said...

I think I need to go back to bed after reading that, I'm exhausted! :) Ha ha. You are one awesome mom and wife! Proud of you, Brooker! :) Love ya!