Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Red Hotdogs

When an American hears the word "hotdog"...
This is probably what comes to mind....a hotdog on a bun with some condiments...Probably ketchup, mustard, relish(either sweet or dill) and some onions. 
Maybe a Chicago-style hotdog...with the works.  Yum!
Maybe a Chili Dog...
Or better yet...a Chili Cheese Dog...
I am actually, not a fan of hotdogs...I'm much more of a brat or polish sausage kind of girl...but if I'm going to eat a hotdog...I prefer to eat a Nathan's hotdog.

Ok...maybe I got a little carried away with pictures of hotdogs...  Why is it that things you can't have always looks sooo stinking good!!!

Anyway...I'll continue on... 

When an American hears the words..."hotdog on a stick"...
They probably think CORN DOG!!!

When a Filipino hears the world..."hotdog"...
They probably think of something like this...  Yes, their hotdogs are bright red...and very often served on sticks...

I've been wanting to blog about this...as my language helper and I have been discussing it for a while...she had no idea that our hotdogs were NOT red...  While they do have "brown" hotdogs here...they are a LOT less common and are normally just chicken hot dogs. 
This is a little stand inside our local grocery store....  The girls who work there were very excited to talk to me...and also very shocked to find out that we do NOT have red hotdogs in the USA.   
They sell RED hot dogs on a stick...for 12 pesos or about 28 cents.  I love how friendly Filipinos are...they invited me behind the counter to take some pictures.  And also asked me if I knew some American men that they could marry.  hehe 
Pearl (my language helper) and I chowing down.  While they don't taste horrible...they have a distinct after taste...which I would assume comes from the amazing amount of red food coloring.  :)
By the way...Pearl thinks the reason they are red here is to attract kids attention.  I'm not sure if it's true...but it certainly seems to work.
 At birthday parties...they are very often served like this...on a stick with marshmallows. 
And of course, we must NOT forget our red hotdogs in spaghetti...which is super common here also.

You might be wondering why I've spent sooo much time showing you pictures of hotdogs... 
Well, when we talk with someone about hotdogs here, we may be using the same words, and  we may think we understand each other...

But the definition/picture that appears in our minds when we hear the word "hotdog" is very different than theirs. (Unless you recently had redhotdogsonastickwithmulti-coloredmarshmallows)

This is why, when learning another language, you can't just learn the simple definition of a word out of a dictionary. Because, you may think you know what someone means when they say something, but it may be far from what they are thinking.

Hotdogs are one MINOR thing, but when you move on to describing emotions and learning spiritual terminology, you better make sure you get it right!

That's why we call what we are doing CLA--Culture Language Acquisiton--We have to take the time to learn the culture and the language together, because you really can't divorce a language from its culture.   

If you do, RED hotdogs with marshmallows on a stick will be the least of your problems.

Ok, now I REALLY want a Nathan's hotdog....just 1.5 more years 'til home assignment....

Pictures either ours or from Google.  Thanks.

2 comments:

jms021117 said...

That just looks gross...redhotdogsonastickwithmarshmallows.

Dennis and Valerie said...

I was reading and reading and just waiting for the part where the marshmallows came in... and you did NOT disappoint! :)