Wednesday, April 4, 2012

C is for Coffee!

I still remember my first drink. We were at a truck stop somewhere in mid-America. Everyone--my grandparents, parents, and other relatives were commenting on how good it was, so I had to try it. I took my first sip. Of Coffee.

I was four years old.

It was horrible.

It was the most bitter, disgusting stuff I ever tasted and I didn't ask for it again for a lot of years. But then, as a missionary kid, I was around coffee drinkers all the time, starting with my parents. So, I started again. And it was good, tolerable, Hills Bros type coffee.

But I still remember my first coffee epiphany. One of our friends in the Philippines grew coffee on his mountain farm, and he brought some for us. Our helper roasted it up, and we knew this was truly something new. We didn't actually have a coffee grinder, so my brother and I pulled out the hand corn grinder and ground up our coffee . Then, we brewed it, took a sip, and all of a sudden, knew what true coffee tasted like.

There was no comparison with this freshly-roasted freshly-ground freshly-brewed coffee gold, and the brown crayon stuff we had been drinking.

We had been to the mountaintop, and going back to the valley of Nescafe was going to be tough.

So, for that last 20 years or so, I have made it a point to enjoy coffee wherever I can, and whatever type I can find that I figure is worth drinking.

I've had cappucino in Florence, Espresso in Greece, and Kopi Luwak in Indonesia.

Drinking Kopi Luwak. Don't know what it is? Umm...how about if you Google it.
And I've found that choosing to not settle for mediocre coffee is worth it.

I also hope and pray that when I'm done with my cup of home-ground, french-pressed java---

I hope I'm also not settling for the pre-ground, easy, instant, vacuum-packed version of the Christian life either. It's so tempting  to settle for less, when we don't know how good it can get.

My coffee epiphany has often reminded me that we often settle for something less because we have never experienced the amazing.

C.S. Lewis talked about this-- and in the paraphrase in my head---when he says 'mud pies' I'm thinking 'instant coffee'...

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Coffee...life---I pray I'm not settling for a mud-pie cup of coffee when God is offering something that goes far beyond what even my caffeinated daydreams can comprehend.


1 comment:

Dennis and Valerie said...

:) This post is great. Made me sorry for all the times I settled for instant just because I needed some caffeine! Gross!