Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thai Curry Chicken & Veggies

I got this recipe from my mom and I've made it many times. We love it...even the kiddos! Hope you do too!

Thai Curry Chicken & Vegetables
2 TBSP. Canola Oil. (I use EVOO.)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. cayenne (I cut this way back b/c Asia doesn't like spicy food.)
1 tsp. 5-spice powder
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt (I only use 1/2 tsp.)
1 TBSP. soy sauce
Stir the above spices in the hot oil.

Add:
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts(cut into 1-inch pieces). (I only use 1 pound.)

Cook & stir for 5 to 8 minutes...until coated with seasonings, lightly browned & no longer pink in the center.

Stir in:
1 cup of chicken broth
3 tsp. curry powder
2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 can coconut milk
1 cup baby-cut carrots(I just cut up regular carrots.)

Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes. Stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender.

Stir in:
2 cups frozen broccoli florets(I use fresh...today I used cauliflower b/c I had it.)
8 oz. water chestnuts(sliced)(You can leave these out if you don't like them. My sister hates them.)

Heat to boiling. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender. (I cook this longer or even add these sooner because I like my veggies a little more tender...as it's easier for the kids to eat.)

Serve over rice.

Today I added 2 mangos to this...and it was AWESOME!!!
BTW...I take no credit for the above photo...I stole it off some website. Just so you know! :)

No comments: