Thursday, December 30, 2010

Everybody Loves Pasta

I can tell I'm having Christmas break...I finally have time to blog.

We love pasta. The kiddos love pasta.

Just wanted to share a couple of recipes that we've enjoyed. I got this Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe from a fellow twin mommy. And the other one is from Allrecipes. I normally have to make a lot of substitutions to my recipes...because things aren't available here...or are just really expensive. But we still really love these recipes. Hope you try them!

Cajun Chicken Pasta
3/4 pound rotini, cooked according to package (I normally use penne b/c I like it better & I use the full pound...cuz really what are you going to do with the other part of the package.)
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (I use 1/2 to 1 pound.)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons cajun seasoning, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) (I cut this way back b/c Asia isn't a fan of spice.)
8 oz. heavy cream (I use all purpose cream in a tetra pack b/c we don't have heavy cream here.)
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned (I use a couple of a local type of green pepper.)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, quartered (I use canned mushrooms b/c we can't normally get fresh.)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I normally just use the Kraft kind.)

Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain; set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, until brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, onions, cajun or creole seasoning and ground black and red peppers. Add bell peppers and mushrooms; stir to combine. Cover & cook 5 minutes. Uncover; stir in cream and let simmer another 2 minutes. Stir in parmesan cheese. Remove sauce from heat, stir in cooked pasta and serve immediately.

Penne with Chicken & Pesto
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Penne-with-Chicken-and-Pesto/Detail.aspx
We actually, don't get to eat this much...because pesto is sooo expensive here & the spinach is really weird...so, you can't really make your own. But it is soo delish!
I think this calls for way too much butter and olive oil...since pesto tends to be quite oily. I just just a tiny bit of olive oil.
I also use the tetra packs of all purpose cream for this.

Anyway...I'm always on the look out for good recipes. So, if you have any good ones please share!

No comments: